Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My WSOP seat winning plan

Curious what others might think of this plan. After looking at the options on PokerStars I decided that the satellite MTT's pay so few that they are really outside of my strength. I have confidence in my satellite game when 1 in 10-20 pay and the field is large. These are 1 in 100+ and the fields are small so usually only the winner wins a seat.

So what I play on doing is trying out the sng Steps. I'm a profitable mid stake sng player but definitely not one of the best. I don't plan on dumping a lot of money into them but I found a way to fund my attempts using a game of which I am very good at. The satellite games where many players win. There are $2r WSOP satellites into a $39r game. If you win the $39 seat you can unregister and take W$. W$ can then be used in the Step sng's. The first step costs $7.50. As a trial I have played 4 of these $2r satellites and won a seat every time. I don't expect to maintain that but clearly I can win around 50% of them and use this method to fully fund my Step attempts.

In the steps themselves each step has a different skill set of people and the structure of the game even changes as you get higher. For this reason I don't plan on mixing the different levels much. Instead I plan on winning a bunch of step 3 tickets before I even attempt to play a step 3. I will only 4 table the games so that I get max reads without boring myself into surfing or starting other matches.

So far I think I have bought 10 step 1 tickets and have 2 step 3's to show for them. I made some mistakes in assessing ranges and have not done as well as I should and can moving forward. The play is so bad I have nothing to compare it with. I'll keep playing the $2r to build W$ and continue to play the step 1 and 2's until I have 12 step 3 tickets saved up. At that point I will start taking my shots at the next levels.

Advice appreciated!

1 comment:

bzimzim said...

That sounds good, as far as I understand it.

Sounds like your doing the step SNGs, but FWIW, played a $80 WSOP satellite with a shot at the $650 sattellite today, and the play in that was just terrible. So if you can satellite your way into one of those, they are definitely +EV.

Of course that would also change your entire plan. So I actually assume you won't be doing that. Just pointing out that people suck at poker.